Monday, March 9, 2009

Sugar and Spice

My 4 year old twins were wrestling this morning. Rolling on the floor and laughing a lot. At one point, Tess (who is tiny and tough as nails) stood over her sister and said (in her most serious, toddler voice) , 'Oh, it is ON! It is BERRY on!' then she jumped on top of Mimi and began tickling her mercilessly.

This scene was made funnier due to the fact that they were wearing little, pink princess dresses. Sequins and satin blurred in the fury.

Last week, I snuggled in my big bed with the little girls and watched a mutually favorite program, Sponge Bob Square Pants. At one point, the cable blinked and Patrick, the obese, pink starfish was sucked from the screen-- all went black. Tess, so very mellow, but clearly annoyed didn't take her eyes off the t.v. but sighed, 'What the hell...'

I froze, not knowing what to do. I wanted to laugh, but bit my lip instead. I knew if I said anything it would draw attention to the word. I also knew for sure that she didn't understand what that word meant.

The cable came back on and I laid there silently, sort of holding my breath.

Tess has not used that expression since. At least not at home... I can only hope she is not throwing it around in her pre-school cafeteria.

No comments: