Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul

'Robbing Peter to Pay Paul'. This phrase melodically runs through my head like a movie's soundtrack. It is currently the story of my life with two-year-old twins. And anyone who has had twins (or more) will know exacty what the phrase means.
For instance, after breakfast this morning I gave the girls each a drinkable yogurt. Risky yes, but I needed something to occupy them while I cleaned up the breakfast dishes.
This would be the 'paying Paul' part of the equation. They did find a way to occupy themselves. They got out of their toddler chairs in the dining room and made their way upstairs to the playroom, where thank God almighty, I had the idea (psychic foresight?) to get the Mr. to take up the area rug just this past weekend. In the playroom, they 'played' clean-up. I heard them singing that dreadful Barney song, 'Clean-up, clean-up! Everybody, everywhere!'-- it actually sounded angelic at the time (boy, was I stupid). They poured their drinkable yogurts onto the wooden floor, then dumped about twenty of the stuffed animals out of the toybox and 'mopped' the yogurt up off the floor with them. This would be the 'robbing Peter' part.
So, while I did have time to clean up the kichen after breakfast, I then had to clean up the playroom, after the twins.
It's 10:10 a.m., I am still in my pajamas, haven't even had time to brush my teeth yet. I am contemplating going back to bed. But if I do that, I'll have to put a Barney DVD in, and then who knows what the twins will learn...

No comments: